Welcome back! I've got a new canvas to show you today. It's bright and cheerful and FULL of SPRING!!!
I hope you like it ;-)
From the garden grows
I woke one morning with the image in my head of flowers growing from a garden. I thought on it for a while. I imagined using the LDRS Dewdrop Circle die as the flowers and the centers would have stamped images. And this is how my imagination came to life...
The flowers are die cuts from the Dewdrop Circle 2-die set. The lovely 'Amber' rubber stamped image is featured in the center of the largest flower.
This is a flat 8"x10" canvas. It is layered with a gazillion different textures and paints. Stay turned for some YouTube video announcements shortly. I'm getting more and more comfortable with mixed media and I will begin recording my studio sessions soon.
Thank you so very much for stopping by today. I would love to know if you enjoyed my project. I hope you found some inspiration in it :-)
I'm really getting into my art journal now. I decided that I'd better come up with a better cover than the plain brown leather that it came with. I've been watching a lot of mixed media tutorials lately, just absorbing different techniques. It's been giving me a lot of ideas of what I could do with the products that I have had sitting around for far too long.
This journal started out with a very boring brown leather cover on it. It wasn't the most creative or inspirational thing to look at. So I HAD to change it! To prep the leather surface, I covered the entire journal cover, front and back, in white gesso. This made it possible for other mediums to adhere to it. Once dry, I gave it a super thick coat of a really old TH crackle medium....knowing that it was far too old to do it's job properly. It went on in lumps and clumps and created the coolest surface ever!!! I let it dry for a few hours and then topped it with Prima's black gesso. At this point it was completely black and the most awesome blank canvas to begin with. I wanted some glimmer so I grabbed a jar of oil based silver paint and smeared it on with a paper towel. It started to look like an Harry Potter text book :-) It was kinda spooky looking!
The inspiration for the design of this journal cover was the new LDRS Dewdrop Circle die. I really love the doily edge on this die and wanted to incorporate it into the cover. I began by cutting and embossing some chipboard with the die. The chipboard is thick so I had to run it through the machine a couple of times each to get the best effect. These die cuts were the very first items that I adhered to the cover. You can see them poking their heads out on the upper and right sides of the cover. I put some scrap lace below the die cuts.
Next, I set out layering and layering all kinds of metal trinkets, flowers and clay molded pieces that I had laying around. I wanted the project to flow from the top left corner on down to the bottom right corner. When layering things, I ignore the colors of the items and concentrate only on their shape. I adhered all of the pieces with Prima Modeling Paste.
This is what the cover looked like after adhering all of the embellishments. You can see that the composition starts with the highest point in the top left corner and ends with the lowest point in the bottom right corner.
Once dry, I covered all of the embellies with Prima Black Gesso and then rubbed the highlights with the silver oil paint.
Once the oil paint was dry, I added color with Prima Bloom sprays. I tested the colors on a scrap sheet of paper and settled on a Boysen Berry/Iris combo. The pic above shows off both the front and back of the art journal.
Here are some close up shots of the embellishments. You can see the gorgeous detail in the Dewdrop Circle die cuts in the pic on the right. I love how lacy and Victorian they are when paired against the metal trinkets.
I had a little fun with photos in the evening and played with the flash while taking photos of the journal. I just love how it made the colors appear to be so much more vibrant and magnified the shine of the silver.
Thank you so much for stopping by today. I hope you found some inspiration in my art journal cover. Til next time...
Today I want to share with you my very first journal page!!! There was quite a bit of trial and error while working on this page, but I really love the finished product. Not surprisingly, it is far different than the way I imagined it in my head. But that's just how it goes sometimes! Hehehe...
I chose to use 'Groovin', from the BRAND NEW Dollhouse collection of rubber stamps. I must say, I am so thrilled to have this new line of stamps! It was so very hard to keep them a secret before CHA. I'm sure you can see why! Could they BE any more fun?????? I just love them!!!!!!
I had soooo much fun with these pages! I got really messy with gelatos, stamps, stencils, pastes, gels, sprays, markers.....you name it..it's probably on there! Once I get a little more comfortable with the journal pages I will start recording my projects for the LDRS YouTube Channel. Right now I'm still playing with the materials to see how they interact with each other. So far, they've been playing well together and I haven't had to throw anyone out of the sand box...Hee Hee Hee :-)
I colored 'Groovin' with Copic markers, very simply. I chose the red, white and blue for the 'All American Girl' look. Once colored, I gave her a gentle coat of a gel medium to make sure she didn't get ruined while working on the page (cause I just knew it would happen if I didn't!). I used the same gel medium to adhere the image to the page.
I really hope you found some inspiration in my journal page. Thank you so much for stopping by!!!