LDRS Creative Design Team INSPIRATIONS!!!

Check out the beautiful inspirational projects over at LDRS Creative Inspirations!!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Art Journal Cover.....

Hello Everyone!!!

I'm really getting into my art journal now.  I decided that I'd better come up with a better cover than the plain brown leather that it came with.  I've been watching a lot of mixed media tutorials lately, just absorbing different techniques.  It's been giving me a lot of ideas of what I could do with the products that I have had sitting around for far too long.

Art Journal

This journal started out with a very boring brown leather cover on it.  It wasn't the most creative or inspirational thing to look at.  So I HAD to change it!  To prep the leather surface, I covered the entire journal cover, front and back, in white gesso.  This made it possible for other mediums to adhere to it.  Once dry, I gave it a super thick coat of a really old TH crackle medium....knowing that it was far too old to do it's job properly.  It went on in lumps and clumps and created the coolest surface ever!!!  I let it dry for a few hours and then topped it with Prima's black gesso.  At this point it was completely black and the most awesome blank canvas to begin with.  I wanted some glimmer so I grabbed a jar of oil based silver paint and smeared it on with a paper towel.  It started to look like an Harry Potter text book :-)  It was kinda spooky looking!

The inspiration for the design of this journal cover was the new LDRS Dewdrop Circle die.  I really love the doily edge on this die and wanted to incorporate it into the cover.  I began by cutting and embossing some chipboard with the die.  The chipboard is thick so I had to run it through the machine a couple of times each to get the best effect.  These die cuts were the very first items that I adhered to the cover.  You can see them poking their heads out on the upper and right sides of the cover.  I put some scrap lace below the die cuts.

Next, I set out layering and layering all kinds of metal trinkets, flowers and clay molded pieces that I had laying around.  I wanted the project to flow from the top left corner on down to the bottom right corner.  When layering things, I ignore the colors of the items and concentrate only on their shape.  I adhered all of the pieces with Prima Modeling Paste.   

This is what the cover looked like after adhering all of the embellishments.  You can see that the composition starts with the highest point in the top left corner and ends with the lowest point in the bottom right corner.

Once dry, I covered all of the embellies with Prima Black Gesso and then rubbed the highlights with the silver oil paint.

Once the oil paint was dry, I added color with Prima Bloom sprays.  I tested the colors on a scrap sheet of paper and settled on a Boysen Berry/Iris combo.  The pic above shows off both the front and back of the art journal.

Here are some close up shots of the embellishments.  You can see the gorgeous detail in the Dewdrop Circle die cuts in the pic on the right.  I love how lacy and Victorian they are when paired against the metal trinkets.

Flash Photograpy

I had a little fun with photos in the evening and played with the flash while taking photos of the journal.  I just love how it made the colors appear to be so much more vibrant and magnified the shine of the silver.

Thank you so much for stopping by today.  I hope you found some inspiration in my art journal cover.  Til next time...




Cathy Lee said...

WOW, totally gorgeous. I love how this turned out, Angie.

Gunvor said...

Absolutely fabulous! Thanks for sharng!

Karen said...

WOW! This is gorgeous!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails