LDRS Creative Design Team INSPIRATIONS!!!

Check out the beautiful inspirational projects over at LDRS Creative Inspirations!!


Sunday, October 17, 2010

Photos of Stockholm...

Hello Everyone!  As promised, I have my photos of Stockholm to share with you.  You'll see from the photos that I have a love for architecture.  The buildings in Stockholm are absolutely stunning.  I took so many photos, but have selected the best ones to show you.  I hope you'll enjoy them.


This is the building where the Nobel Peace Prize is presented.


The next several photos are of 'Old Town' which is the first area of Stockholm to be built.  The buildings remind me very much of Venice, Italy.  On that note, Stockholm, like Venice, is built on a series of 14 islands with bridges connecting them.  Unlike Venice, motorized vehicles are permitted.


This is a Viking buriel stone.  It's difficult to see in this photo, but, it currently rests on the corner of a building to protect the building from being damaged if a car were to hit it.  It seems a little odd doesn't it?  I would want to protect the buriel stone!  But, we were told that it is very strong.  In the very left corner of the photo is an old cannon that is the first thing to be struck should a car run into the building. 


This is the fountain in the center of the main square in Old Town.  This square is where the wealthiest of people would have lived.


More from the main square.  These were homes of wealthy families.  Aren't they gorgeous?  We had lunch at the restaurant with the awning on the right.  Oh yeah, that's Diana and I in the front there.


This is a statue of someone slaying a dragon...but I don't remember the story :-(


This is a statue of a very short man.  I'm only 5'3" and he's not much taller than me!

We took a ferry ride and this was the view.


Also a view from the ferry, this is a carnival.  I took this photo so my hubby could see the incredibly vertical roller coaster.  When I saw this, I really realized that land is at a premium in Stockholm.

Some old and beautiful boats.


A very narrow alley.  I could stand in the middle, hold out my arms like an airplane, and touch both sides simultaneously.  Only very tiny cars are allowed....just kidding!!!




This is a small portion of the palace.  I didn't bring my good camera and wide angle lense so I couldn't get it all in the photo.  But believe me...IT'S HUGE!  It has 608 rooms.  That's Diana and Olga, our guide, on the right.


This is the National Museum.  It's on its own island.


On our way back to the train station, I looked up and saw this statue.


A better perspective.  Cool huh?

Well, that's it for today.  I really hope you enjoyed this little tour of Stockholm.  It's such a gorgeous place.  If you can get there, I strongly suggest that you do.  I will definitely be going again.  Next time, I will plan on several days just for Stockholm.

Ciao for now,

Angie




6 comments:

Renkata said...

wow look fantastic there.
Thanks for sharing.

Christina C. said...

How awesome, Angie! Reminds me of Salzburg! Thanks for sharing.

MarieL said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures of Stockholm. Lovely pictures.

Marijke said...

Hi Angie,
Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos.
It looks you have a real good time in Sweden
Hugs,
Marijke

Lisa Andrews said...

Thanks so much for sharing your photos! Wow, all kinds of childhood memories popped up while I was looking at them. My father is Scandavian and my cousin and uncle live in Eskilstuna. We took a family trip there when I was 8 years old, can you believe that I actually remember seeing some of those places?? Old town is my absolute favorite!! Wish I could go visit again really really soon!

Candy said...

Oh thank you for sharing your pictures. I will never be able to travel there so it is a huge treat to see them!
What beautiful buildings and I love the narrow streets :o)
Hugs, Candy

Related Posts with Thumbnails